Thursday, May 28, 2009

Star Trek


Watched Star Trek last weekend at Eastwood Cinemas.

I wasn't a fan at all of Star Trek when I was a kid. But I remembered seeing some episodes in the 90s in Channel 9, if I'm not mistaken. I wasn't fond of the spaceships, outer space and the geeky creatures that I remember seeing in one of the TV Episodes. Well I was a kid then, and I matured.

As I saw the Star Trek Movie by J. J. Abrams and I enjoyed it. I wasn't familiar with the scenarios and the characters but I was entertained by the plot of the story. It was not too scientific and it remained entertaining. I think that putting Chris Pine(James T. Kirk) as one of the main characters set the movie well.


I liked the portrayal of each of the crew's role in the USS Enterprise. Putting an Asian-American character John Cho as Hikaru Sulu and Russian character Anton Yelchin as Pavel Chekov personalities in the ship made it a versatile one - and funnier. Funnier in the sense that though they have vital roles in the ship, they didn't remain nerdy. They all still have the "coolness" of what a normal person would have. Though I'm not into the Spock and Nyota Uhura relationship. I think that it's an effort to display Spock's human feelings but I don't think it matched.

After all of the good script, plot and character representation, I still have my criticism on the entire story of having something in the future come to the present which makes the present the past. Got it? I don't either. That's why I kept asking questions after the movie. hehehe. But it was cleared to me now. It dwelt on me later. Oh well, don't forget to watch Star Trek - "Live long and prosper." (with matching hand gestures that I cannot do. hehehe)

For Star Trek, I give you 4 stars! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment